It’s all about the products! Make amazing products and people will buy them, use them and fall in love with them. That’s what you live and breathe to do. Create world beating products. You might even say you’re a Product Geek. If so, you’ll fit right in at APD as our Product Development Manager, reporting directly to the Managing Director - Chief Geek.
We are all geeky about our own things, Finance, Projects, Marketing and more. We are unashamedly passionate about what we do because when we come together as a team we create and deliver something amazing - award winning and lifesaving technology. Pretty cool huh?
We’re looking for a Product Development Manager to join the team, someone who truly puts the customers at the heart of everything they do. An innovative person who loves spending time with customers and who’s not ashamed about getting geeky with control rooms and cloud platforms. You will be totally passionate about market research and getting to know how the emergency services use technology.
Sound like you?
Our Product Development Manager will be a creative person who is able to see the direction markets are taking and create business opportunities to take advantage of it. We partner with some awesome brands like Avaya, Motorola, Microsoft, Avaya, Sopra Steria and more and you’ll take the lead on these relationships to share and build on innovation.
As a complete ‘Tech Geek’, you’ll be obsessed with AI, machine learning, augmented reality and have a deep desire to use and integrate these emerging technologies to obtain maximum adoption for the customer’s and company’s benefit. Ultimately, you will be passionate about technology being utilised to save lives.
As part of this role you will also become part of the Management Team. A team that’s as geeky as they come when it comes to running a business. Reporting direct to the Managing Director, you will be one of eight people that shape and lead the business in line with APD’s Balanced Business Plan. We’re growing fast, and we’ve got big plans, a Product Development Geek is fundamental to these.
To lead our team of Product Owners, to create and implement a world-leading product strategy and vision for the future.
Reports to the Managing Director
Our home is Newlands Science Park on Hull University campus, right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the UK City of Culture. Hull is where our roots are and we're proud to be from here.
- Line manage, mentor and tutor a team of Product Owners.
- Determine customer needs and desires by doing and specifying the research required to obtain market information.
- Recommend the nature and scope of future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements together with appraising and conducting research into the feasibility and potential profitability of new product ideas and concepts.
- Assess market competition by conducting gap analysis of competitor products.
- Works closely with the Sales & Marketing Manager to help provide statistics such as market share, but also provides a steer on product marketing communications.
- Interacts with customers to obtain feedback on current products, suggestions as to new features / improvements and interprets trends in the industry.
- Helps bring new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs that include preparing return on investment analysis, and establishing proposed time scales with the Development Team.
- Helps determine product pricing by utilising market research, reviewing production and sales costs, anticipating volume and costing specialised orders.
- Provides regular updates on their findings to the Directors and Senior Management Team.
- Aligning development of all products to ensure there is a coherent business strategy that they are consistent with the Balanced Business Plan (BBP).
- This is by no means an exhaustive list!
Experience & skills required
- Experience of reporting on management data.
- Experience conducting extensive market research effectively, and present findings to management including gap analysis on competitor’s products.
- An understanding of hardware, firmware, software and programming.
- The ability to learn and understand technical concepts and requirements quickly.
- Collaborative approach, must be able to build good working relationships.
- A methodical and logical approach.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, must be able to manage expectations and relay technical information to users with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Commercial awareness and general business acumen.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and articulate manner.
- Awareness or experience of Quality management systems
- Experience of a similar role
- MBA or similar degree
- Knowledge of SaaS and hosted technologies
- Experience of developing technology partnerships
Here at APD we employ Geeks with Goals. We’re looking for someone with passion for what they do. Someone who’s independent, driven and self-motivated with a flexible attitude and committed to contributing to APD’s growth. To apply for this role, please email email@example.com