At APD, we only employ people who are completely and unashamedly geeky about their chosen field. So much so, that they read about it, talk about it, live and breathe it, not because they have to, but because they can’t imagine doing anything else and they want to achieve something amazing… We call this kind of person a Geek With A Goal or GWAG.
Our culture is fun, fast paced and no day is ever the same. There are over 100 of us all committed to creating and delivering great technology and amazing customer service. We power some of the most important organisations in the world, so whilst we like to have fun, we take our work seriously and only the best will do. Like all great artists and engineers we sign our work with pride and we make excellence a habit.
We are looking for someone who is completely nutty about the development and delivery of world leading technology using Scrum. Someone who loves to harness the skills of talented engineers to deliver products that customers crave. Someone who can work on the M8 management team to ensure our customers become raving fans of our products and we grow our market share as a result.
If this is you, read on…. If this is not you, please don’t…
Your geekiness will be rooted in product, people and systems development and in delivering world-leading technology. You will be fascinated by products you admire, the technologies they use, the people that created them and how they were made. You will love the Scrum framework and support Scrum teams with embedded Product Owner and SQA. You will be part of a Scrum training programme and implementation of new systems and guides to support the development team and the delivery of the highest quality technology. Your teams will be building future technology for the Emergency Services that saves lives around the world.
This career comes with a lot of responsibility. You will be part of the M8 management team, reporting to the Managing Director and submitting reports to the APD Board. You will forge amazingly strong relationships with your colleagues in the M8 and will work collaboratively to deliver APD’s Balanced Business Plan.
To create and deliver the world-leading products that our customers crave through teams of highly talented development engineers.
Reports to the Managing Director
Our home is Newlands Science Park on Hull University campus, right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the UK City of Culture. Hull is where our roots are and we're proud to be from here.
- Line manage, mentor and tutor a team of software, firmware and hardware engineers.
- Be fully aware and utilise SCRUM and Agile methodologies.
- Assist with recruitment of new permanent and contracted resources to the team.
- Conduct regular performance reviews of all teams, team members and work with them to produce development plans.
- Work with other departments within the business to ensure the delivery of high quality solutions on time and to budget, in an environment where business goals can change
- Drive the adoption of the most recent technologies, tools and ways of working across the software development lifecycle.
- Oversee the integration of code delivered into the company’s source control systems and processes.
- Work with the team to ensure that solutions are implemented in a way that offers optimal reliability, scalability and throughput as required by the business.
- Work with the Lead Engineers to ensure the engineered core, the restful APIs and the application structures are robust, reliable and scalable.
- This is by no means an exhaustive list!
Experience & skills required
- Fundamental understanding of Agile and Scrum including a proven track record of instilling Agile ways of working into development teams and using metrics to increase team velocity
- Experience of interacting with and reporting data to relevant stakeholders through systems development
- An understanding of hardware, firmware, software and programming
- The ability to learn and understand technical concepts and requirements quickly
- Collaborative approach, must be able to build good working relationships
- Excellent interpersonal skills, must be able to manage expectations and relay technical information to users with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Commercial awareness and general business acumen
- Ability to communicate in a clear and articulate manner
- Ability to work well under pressure and within tight timescales
- Awareness or experience of Quality management systems
- Awareness or experience of the following ‘Dev’ related systems: TFS
- CEng or willingness to work towards CEng qualification.
If you truly believe this career is for you, apply now.
Send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com